Welcome to Martha L. Ridgway, P.C., a distinctive and specialized law
practice addressing in a unique manner the legal problems of the elderly, the disabled, and their families. Rather than pursuing a typical litigation approach, I consider the many problems and issues underlying a dispute. I utilize a perspective that takes into account all aspects of the parties’ life situations, including familial, intergenerational and other relationships, financial considerations, autonomy and capacity issues. I seek to work with the family members and others involved to reach a consensus, common ground and resolution of their dispute. Harmony – not discord – is the goal of my practice, along with focusing on the positive and restorative aspects of the law rather than on the negative and the contested.
My primary areas of practice are as follows:
- Engaging in family facilitation.
- Engaging in mediation, arbitration and alternative dispute resolution.
- Serving as an expert witness and special master.
- Serving as a court-appointed guardian ad litem for impaired adults in domestic relations and probate cases.
- Providing representation of, and consultation to, attorneys, fiduciaries, the elderly and family members.
- Providing representation in general elder law.